Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2017

REVISED Rock has a lot of history, I can’t cover all of it.

Hello everyone, I’m back again and I’m SUPER excited to get into this “Genre History” with all of you, as you can tell. So before I could learn about the genre’s history, I had to figure out what kind of music my genre was going to be. So I made my way to the local record store. I recently go a critique that the music in the past two reviews were too new and that I should find something older. Well, with this being a history post, I made my way to the way way way back of the store to the crates of 50 cent albums, because I am a broke bitch who can’t afford another nice album. There were 7 people in the record store at that time, so I obviously had to choose the seventh album. I still think it’s funny that I’ve managed to come up with these stupid ways to find an album. And that is how I found and beat up, torn, gross, yet still functional copy of “The Grand Illusion” by Styx. Rock. I get to do a genre history over rock, this should be fun and not time consuming at alllllll.
Alright well, let’s get into it then. Everyone knows about rock, it isn’t one of those unnecessarily specific niches that no one other than the people who follow it intensely no about. I’d even be willing to bet that you know all the words to at least one classic rock song, most likely it’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” or a song by Elvis. Basically, everyone knows about this genre, but do you know where it came from? That, my buddy ole pal, is a whole other question. 
The genre of rock was a branch of popular music and then became popular music for a very long time. But where did this jank-ass rock come from? It actually came from an advancing of technology and the combination of blues, jazz, and big band with new instruments. One of the advancements in technology that was made during this time was, wait for it, the vinyl record, you had to know that was coming. Who would’ve guessed that I would manage to stick my entire blog’s identity into this post, or as some would say my “brand” into this post? Well, this shit’s for a grade so I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
We’re going to take a step back and talk about the vinyl side of things here, as if that is the entire point of this blog, to talk about vinyl. If you never noticed, all early songs pressed on vinyl are about 3 minutes. At most 3, sometimes less. The reason for this is in the technology of the time. Records used to be pressed on shellac with larger grooves than we are used to today. This meant that there was a lot less area on the record to put information. Along with the wider grooves, that record spun faster, at about 78 rpm. The combination of these two factors led to a record only being able to hold about 3 minutes of music on each side, hence the lack of longer songs. Then there were some improvements made. The microgroove was created, which is a lot thinner, therefore able to put more music on each side of the record. Then people started experimenting with different materials for the record and found that vinyl was the best because it was more durable. Finally, an improvement in the pressing process led to the ability to slow down the spinning speed. These breakthroughs led to the album you know and love today where you can fit a 45 minute album onto a vinyl record. Pretty cool, huh?

Okay, so here I made for y’all a mash-up of a couple songs that I think best sums up part of the journey of rock, I’m lying, I had to make this for the pre-blog post thing for the class and I’m actually kind of happy with it and it can be a good base to start off from. I can’t talk about the entirety of rock because of all of the branches it split into through time, so this track is the journey that I’m going to talk about. I will say this again. There is no way that I could do a complete genre history over rock with the time I have nor be able to do it well, also, that is way too much stuff to figure out. If I get any comments on how this is a scoped version of the history of rock, I will be annoyed and probably mad, because I am telling you that right now.

Before we do any discussion of the genre, I want to really get something very clear, when I describe these bands and their reputation and sound, I am talking specifically about each song for the most part, many of them do line up with the reputation of the entire band, but every band has songs that don’t fit their normal sound or image, I am talking very generally about each band. Also, almost all of these bands can fit into other categories, but I am not talking about pop or folk, I am talking about just rock. With that, I am aware that I am missing a ton of branches of rock, like I said, I cannot cover them all. If you would like a list of rock genres I did not cover, you can look somewhere else (thumbs up).
Okay, I’m going to start with “Rock Around the Clock”. Rock has its roots in big band swing music, which you can hear in the first song “Rock Around the Clock” by Billy Haley and His Comets. This was the first “Rock” song to hit number 1 on Billboard’s top 100. There were obviously many albums before this one that could be considered rock, but the first number 1 hit is a good place to start. This initial version of rock was basically big band swing music with more suggestive lyrics and some sprinkling in of electric guitars and basses. Like I’m talking about some bullshit like when “rock and roll” literally means sex, like come on, they need to come up with better euphemisms. This led to the next artist’s big break, Elvis Presley. This man was the face behind what many of the older generation called “devil music” for its direct suggestions pertaining to sexual natures. In fact, when Elvis played on the Ed Sullivan Show, they were only allowed to show the upper half of his body because of his famous hip shakes and all that shit that was considered inappropriate for TV at the time. Next up is the cleaned up version of rock with “The Beach Boys” with their clean fun in the sun. There wasn’t much substance to their music, it was all about fun and basically the anti-Elvis. Bob Dylan, who was just recently given the Nobel Peace Prize for Literature, is up next on the mash-up. Dylan took the ideas of the Beach Boys and added a deeper purpose. Dylan used music as his medium for social activism. This was the first time that rock was used for this and commonly accepted by the audience. I consider this part of rock as the most, for a lack of better terms, impactful, Bob Dylan actually did shit with his music, which is fucking cool, but not really part of the rest of these bands.
Ah, the British Invasion, this is a pretty big turning point in rock as a genre. The Beatles changed the world and everyone knows it. The first half of their career was what the older generation could tolerate, they sang about love and adventure and all the idealized things parents wanted their kids to listen to. Up next is my favorite turn of rock, the introduction of drugs, and I’m like talking some of those hard core motherfucking drugs. Don’t get me wrong, I am fully aware of the amount of drugs rock bands did before this time (Elvis’s death for one) but this is when drugs became the topic of discussion for a lot of bands. “I am the Walrus” is a good song that The Beatles wrote while obviously on some kind of drug, god knows what kind and how many. From then on, in this line of rock history, it’s a lot of the same ideas. With Eric Clapton literally singing about cocaine and Pink Floyd’s trippy “Interstellar Overdrive” it is clear that drugs were a part of these bands’ recipes for success. By the by, if you happen to be on any conscious altering substance, “Interstellar Overdrive” is a fucking rage and will change your life, or so I’m told, because drugs are bad for you and you shouldn’t do them. In my opinion, the man that had more drugs in his system than blood, Jimi Hendrix is the epitome of this kind of rock, but to be fair he did create the branch of “Acid Rock” and that shit is lit.
Alright, after that, we leave the drug world and get to the all-time famous rock song that everyone hates that they know all the words, “Don’t Stop Believin’” which cuts down on the drugs mentioned throughout the song. Finally, we get to the album I found in the 50 cent crate with “Come Sail Away” which describes a crazy trip somebody takes that ranges from sailing away on a boat to going to heaven and ending by meeting aliens, I’m sure that was some good shit they were smoking. This song may not say that this is a drug trip, but I think we can be honest with ourselves and admit that somebody took some acid or something and wrote this song. The Eagles follow with “Hotel California” which is a mellowed out version of rock similar to the Beach Boys. This is where we see bands connecting with past bands of their genre and creating something similar but new. “Renegade” By Styx isn’t from the album I picked up, but it has a lot of classic ideas of rock in it that just makes you want to headband. Finally, we have the king of being weird, David Bowie. This dude is strange, but also just damn cool. I feel like he took the rulebook for rock and tossed it into a volcano. But even then, he brought back a lot of ideas from rock before his time. The impact of drugs on his music is undeniable, but he also took a note from Bob Dylan in this song “Heroes” and was using music as a medium to show his opinions of the situation of Berlin after the war.
So basically, rock has an extremely storied background and there is so much more than I could say in this post, but rock still lives on and continues to evolve while also keeping its roots.

Well, that’s really all I have for you this time, have a groovy day.
I’m so sorry for that.

See you on the flip side.


No comments:

Post a Comment